I am thrilled to share a BUNTING TUTORIAL with you from Natalie, at Katarina’s Paperie! This CHALKBOARD BUNTING is just in time for back-to-school as well as being perfect for any occasion! This party detail works great with boy and girl themes AND celebrations for any age! Follow along and you will soon have this cute idea gracing your next celebration cake! (P.S. Read on to find a grand opening special when you shop with Katarina’s Paperie!)
One of my favorite party decorations is the party bunting. I love how they come in all shapes and sizes, colors and can showcase many different messages. Natalie, of Katarina’s Paperie, is sharing how to make a unique mini cake bunting today. She uses chalkboard paint and cute little wooden gift tags to create a decorative bunting that you can use again and again.
You Will Need: Chalkboard paint Foam brushes 5 mini wooden gift tags (When making my mini bunting, I decided to create five tags because I wanted to write “Sweet” and “Party”. If desired, you can add more tags to the bunting to spell out longer words or somebody’s name.) 2 wooden lollipop sticks Bakers Twine 1 Sheet of Patterned Scrapbook Paper Mod Podge Scissors Pencil Small Hole Punch Chalk or Chalkboard Marker
1. Paint one side of your wooden gift tags with chalkboard paint. Let the tags dry. Add multiple coats of paint, if desired. I used three coats on my tags to get a solid chalkboard coating. It’s okay if paint gets on the back of the tags because you’ll be adding paper to the other side.
2. Using your pencil, make a trace of your wooden gift tags on the blank side of the scrapbook paper. Cut out the traced gift tags.
3. Carefully coat the blank side of the gift tag with Modge Podge and glue the scrapbook paper into place. Repeat this step with all of your wooden tags.
4. Trim any excess paper off of the sides of the gift tags, leaving a nice clean edge.
5. For each tag, coat the top of the scrapbook paper with Modge Podge. Let the tags fully dry.
6. From the tag’s blackboard side, use your hole punch to repunch the small hole at the top of the tag.
7. Measure about 9 – 10 inches of baker’s twine. Attach one end of twine to the top of the wooden lollipop stick. String the rest of the tags in place, tying a loop at the top of each one. Each tag should be about an inch to an inch and a half apart. Once all of your tags are attached together, tie the end of the twine to the second lollipop stick.
8. Add your message to your chalkboard signs using a chalkboard marker or chalk. Some message ideas include “Sweet”, “Party”, “Happy” or “Love” with a heart. You can even add someone’s name or birthdate. When the event changes, simply wipe off the chalkboard message and add a new one.
What a sweet way to celebrate a special day!
I LOVE that once you make this bunting, you can use it over and over again by simply wiping away the chalk letters and changing the message! I am envisioning “ABC” or “SCHOOL” for the back-to-school crowd! Thank you for sharing this easy and GREAT idea with us, Natalie!
Remember that you can shop with Katarina’s Paperie and receive a special offer this week! Katarina’s Paper has just opened online, and they would love for you to stop by to see their party goods, craft ideas, helpful hints, tutorials, and blog! So much to offer in one place~ and it will grow and grow so check back often!