Sometimes we all need a shortcut when we need a dessert for something special. This recipe was one that my sister used to make when I was younger~ and even though I am more of a frosting girl when it comes to cake, this cake recipe won me over. It is really simple because it starts from a boxed cake mix!
By baking the cake in a bundt pan, it gives the cake some decoration. I love the simplicity of the chocolate cake with the white powdered sugar, but I often dress up this cake a little more. Depending on the occasion, I decorate the cake in different ways. It is perfect for birthdays and holidays- and for when you just have a chocolate craving. It is rich, and the powdered sugar is the perfect complement to all of the chocolate.
For Easter, I had a little fun decorating the cake with a spring theme…
After the cake had cooled, I added powdered sugar. Next, I added edible green grass (I found it at Target) and a chocolate bird nest with jelly beans in the center opening of the cake.
Here is the quick and easy recipe…
Triple Chocolate Cake ~ Recipe Shortcut
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 small box of Jell-O Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sherry
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Powdered Sugar (Confectioner's Sugar) for sprinkling on top of cake
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix.
- Next, add oil, sherry, sour cream, and eggs.
- Mix by hand for 5 minutes.
- After you have mixed the ingredients, add in the chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Grease/Oil a Bundt pan.
- Pour cake mixture evenly into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 45-50 minutes.
- To create the nest on top of the cake, use edible green grass and roll a section of the grass into a circle. Top with a chocolate bird nest (find recipe for chocolate bird nests here).
I hope you love this easy shortcut dessert! It is one of our family favorites. Let me know if you try it and how you like it!