Chicken Fricassee is a traditional French dish with a creamy mushroom sauce- we like to add colorful vegetables to make it a one-dish meal. This chicken fricassee recipe is fancy enough for a dinner party and classic enough for a weeknight family meal. We enjoy it and hope you will, too!
Chicken Fricassee with Vegetables
- 4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, coarsely sliced on diagonal
- 1 medium leek, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- chopped fresh chives for garnish
- 1 package egg noodles, cooked and served hot
- Using a paper towel, pat chicken dry and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Pour flour into a large zip bag and then add in chicken. Close bag tightlly and then gently toss to coat the chicken with flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Take chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour back into bag, and place chicken in skillet. Keep the bag of flour to use again in this recipe.
- Cook chicken until golden brown- approximately 4-5 mins. per side. Remove chicken and place on a plate. Place another plate over the chicken to keep chicken warm.
- Using the same skillet, add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms start to brown- about 4-5 mins. Add in carrots and the leek and cook those for about 3 mins.
- Add 2 TBSP of the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth and wine and stir often for about 5-6 mins. Sauce should begin to thicken, and then stir in cream, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Add chicken back to skillet and cover with sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the skillet and let chicken and sauce cook for about 15 mins.
- Add asparagus to skillet, return cover to skillet, and cook for about 10 mins. Chicken should be cooked through and asparagus should be tender but still crisp.
- Serve the dish over hot egg noodles and garnish with chives. Enjoy!