Anything with farro always catches my attention on a menu, and so I am drawn to using it as often as I can at home. Farro is one of those ancient grains that packs protein and nutrients- I always feel happier serving it to my family than other side grains. If you are not a farro fan or if you cannot find it in your grocery store, you can also substitute quinoa or cous cous in place of the farro.
Salmon with Lemony Farro and Greens
- 4 6-oz. salmon fillets with skin
- 1 tsp salt, divided in half
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2-3 lemons
- 3 TBSP butter
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 10-12 oz. collard greens or kale or spinach
- 14.5 oz. black-eyed peas
- 16 oz. farro
- 2 TBSP dill, chopped
- Sprinkle salmon evenly with pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Begin cooking farro in medium pot on stove.
- Heat 1 TBSP butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place salmon skin-side down in skillet and cook until crisp- about 4 mins.
- Flip salmon to other side and cook for another 2-3 mins. Remove salmon and place on a plate.
- Wipe skillet clean and then add broth, greens, cooked farro and remaining butter and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 3 mins.
- Add in cooked black-eyed peas. Stir all together until heated through.
- Remove from heat, add 2 1/2 TBSP of freshly squeezed lemon juice and the dill.
- To serve, spoon the farro mixture onto a plate and top with salmon fillet. Serve will sliced lemon wedges. Enjoy!